FEA Legal Services
Take advantage of two free 30 minute consultations per year and a free simple will provided by FEA’s legal services program. FEA has an agreement with the Offit Kurman Attorneys At Law to provide these services. To schedule an appointment for a free simple will or a free 30 minute consultation with an attorney, call 703-745-1813 and ask to speak with Steven Stone. Be sure to identify yourself as an FEA member.
If you need help with a work-related legal problem, call FEA at 703-352-7300.
VEA Legal Services: Your Safety Net
Working in education, while a noble profession, carries with it a certain amount of risk.
No one, from veteran educators to those brand new in the profession, is immune, and one unfounded accusation or misrepresented occurrence can quickly derail a career.
That’s why you need the legal safety net that comes with membership in the Virginia Education Association. Here’s how you’re protected:
- Staff assistance and access to legal consultation if you’re injured in the course of your work or need leave for health or personal reasons
- Legal representation if you face dismissal for cause
- Legal representation if you are accused of abusing a student and therefore are investigated by social workers. (See also, “Steps to Take“)
- Legal representation if, during the course of your school duties, you are accused of committing a crime or face criminal prosecution
- Liability insurance coverage for attorney fees and costs if you are acquitted of a criminal charge, or if those charges are dismissed
- Liability insurance coverage to pay for the defense of civil suits brought against you in the course of your work and to cover damages assessed against you in such suits
- The Attorney Referral Program, which offers discounts for legal representation in matters not related to your school employment, such as wills, real estate and traffic court matters
The VEA will be there for you when you need it the most. For more information, contact the VEA Division of Legal Services at (800) 552-9554.
NEA Educators Employment Liability (EEL) Policy
The NEA EEL policy is one of the most-valued legal benefits of Association membership. Members and nonmembers may click here to read questions and answers about the EEL program in Virginia. Current VEA members may also review and print the NEA EEL Claim Form and the Virginia EEL Certificate by accessing the documents in our Members Only area under Legal Services Documents. You will need to use your credentials or (for first-time users) register for access.