The following is a letter from FEA President Kimberly Adams:
Dear FEA Member,
I am writing to ask you to seriously consider the opportunity that we are being given on Monday, January 27 — a public education lobby day and rally to Fund Our Future is being held in Richmond.
Right now education is a true priority in Richmond!
- The State Board of Education has issued a call for Standards of Quality funding that is unprecedented.
- The Virginia Legislature is the most education-friendly that we have seen in decades and is poised to vote on hundreds of Education bills.
- The Governor is looking to us to lead the way and keep the momentum going.
This Monday is going to be epic!
Richmond City Schools are shutting down because more than 60% of their workforce is planning to be at the Capitol. Stafford County Schools are sending hundreds of educators and their Superintendent. Prince William and Loudoun are sending buses with educators and local elected officials.
Our own Fairfax Superintendent marked this day as a Teacher Workday in anticipation of a multitude of absences and has authorized any employee who wants to attend the leave to do so! Chairman Jeff McKay of the Board of Supervisors and County Executive Bryan Hill are supportive of our efforts to take this message to the Capital! School Board members are coming with us to Richmond and YOU must join us!!
2 bus trips are planned out of Fairfax. Lunch will be provided. The cost is $10 and can be paid on the day of the trip in cash or check (made payable to FEA).
- One bus will leave at 5:00 am, to meet with and lobby legislators before the rally to Fund Our Future
- Another bus will leave at 9:00 am, to arrive before noon at the Capitol Bell Tower in order to participate in the rally to Fund Our Future
Buses will depart from three locations: Fair Oaks Mall (5:00 or 9:00), then the FEA Office (5:30 or 9:30) and then Cracker Barrel in Dumfries (6:30 or 10:30). All buses will arrive back at their original departure location, with the last stop estimated at 4:00-4:15 pm at Fair Oaks Mall.
You don’t want to miss being at this year’s biggest pro-education event in the Commonwealth. We’re putting the focus back on our students and schools – where it belongs!
To RSVP fill out this Google Form.
If you have already replied to previous RSVP opportunities, please check your email for more details from: email@example.com.
Fairfax Education Association